Goodwick (English /'g?d?k/; Welsh: Wdig) is a coastal town in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales, immediately west of its twin town of Fishguard. The coasts of Wales were subjected to Norse raids during the Viking Era and, in the latter 10th century, Norse trading posts and settlements became established. The place name probably derives from a combination of the old Norse forms: góðr (good) and vik (bay or cove) giving góðrvik. Compare formation with Reykjavík (Smoking Bay) where reykr = 'smoke'. However the South East facing hillside of Goodwick is sheltered from prevailing and salty SW winds and therefore naturally well tree-covered compared with the exposed headland above and the wet land of the bay. Many older developments in Goodwick have the name 'Goedwig' meaning forest - Goedwig Terrace, Villas, Chapel etc. Thus an alternative explanation for the name may be that it was Goedwig and Goorvik may just have been a happy coincidence for the invaders. Goodwick was a small fishing village in the parish of Llanwnda, but in 1887 work commenced on a railway connection and harbour, and the village grew rapidly to service this. The main industry is now tourism although in the town's industrial past brick making was once an important industry. Some fishing still takes place on a small scale but most activity is centered on Milford Haven. The local beach, Goowick Sands, is where the defeated French invasion force assembled prior to their unconditional surrender on 24 February 1797.
The Three Counties has found: 111 entries for Businesses in Goodwick West Wales.
If your business is not listed add it now, it's completely free!
Page 1 of 5